Sunday, July 13, 2014

How to grade the teacher?


For several years I have been involved in the creation of an assessment for our Playworks Program Coordinators.  Our evaluation process has gone through many iterations as we moved from quantitatively assessing program outputs to qualitatively assessing Program Coordinator input.  From being on the designing side of the process, I am aware of how difficult it can be to best assess the quality of work in a role that is broad and influenced by many factors.  Similarly, the quality of work delivered by a classroom teacher can have far reaching impact but high quality teaching may not always yield high quality results, due to outside factors. 

As a classroom teacher, I would like to be assessed from a few perspectives.  Ideally, I would like multiple observations over the year from my principal as well as peers/mentors. If possible, I would like to be observed at both my most challenging time of the day as well as my most successful time of the day, in order to get a range of feedback and perspective.  I like the idea of student feedback and if administered properly, I think the information would be very helpful.  The district in which I hope to work, uses an observation form that includes standards such as "Connecting students' prior knowledge, life experience, and interests with learning goals," "Drawing on and valuing students' backgrounds, interests, and developmental learning needs." and "Working with communities to improve professional practice".  These are certainly standards by which I hope to be successful and would appreciate assessment, much more so than being measured by the curve of my student's test scores.  While I know and understand that test scores are a consideration in assessing student quality, my hope is that these other standards will be viewed with greater weight.

Sources
Oakland Unified School District Rating System (N.D.) Retrieved from personal communication on July 9, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment